Thank you for showing an interest in volunteering at Our Lady of Mount Carmel Church.
The Archdiocese of Newark’s Safe Environment Policy has 3 requirements for all volunteers and employees (18 years and older) who work with children in any programs sponsored by the parish. This includes classroom, religious education catechists aides or leaders, coaches, youth ministry volunteers, and retreat coordinators.
- Attending a Protecting God’s Children for Adults Workshop (this requirement must be re-certified every 5 years by attending either another PGC Workshop or the new condensed class, Keeping the Promise Alive Recertification Training.)
- Completing a Volunteer Application and 2019 Archdiocesan Code of Conduct
- Completing a Criminal Background Check
Details of requirements:
Attend a Protecting God’s Children for Adults Workshop
- Volunteers that are NEW to PGC should register online for a workshop. Go to www.virtusonline.org, select ‘First Time Registrant’ and follow the instructions. Choose a convenient location and session. Once you have completed the class, please submit a copy of your PGC certificate to the rectory.
- Volunteers who have PREVIOUSLY TAKEN PGC need to re-certify every 5 years.
These volunteers need to contact our safe environment coordinator for their original VIRTUS ‘User ID’, which is needed to register for another workshop. DO NOT sign up for a new ‘User ID’; this creates a duplicate account and complicates re-certification. You may attend either PGC again or you may choose the condensed re-certification class, “Keeping the Promise Alive Recertification Training”.
Complete a Volunteer Application and the Current Archdiocesan Code of Conduct
Please fill out the Volunteer Application in its entirety – especially pages 5&6 with appropriate initials and signatures.
Complete a Criminal Background Check
Once the required paperwork is completed and returned to the rectory office, your information will be sent to the Archdiocese Office of Child and Youth Protection (OCYP). They will run your background check. When it is completed, the volunteer will receive a letter from the Archdiocese informing them. There is no cost to you for this. Background checks are valid for 5 years.
Please contact our parish’s Safe Environment Coordinator, Natalie McKenna if you have any questions or issues in completing any of the steps.
Thank you for your continued cooperation in ensuring that we always provide a safe environment for all children in our church and school.