About Us


Faith Formation

Get Involved

How Do I?


Academy of Our Lady

Parish History


A Timeline of Parish History - Click on highlighted link to view photo

1880 - About fifty Catholic families live in the Ridgewood area.
1888 - Enough Catholic families in Ridgewood to establish a congregation.
1889 - Father Michael Nevins is appointed to establish the parish of Our Lady of Mount Carmel.
1890 - Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Carrigan deed the Union St. house and adjacent lot to the church. The house is used as a rectory and church.
1890 - Rev. Dr. Charles Mull becomes pastor.
1890 - August 24 - Cornerstone is laid for OLMC, a wood building in Byzantium style and will seat 250 parishioners.

1901 - Rev. Father Paul T. Carew begins Mission Churches in Wyckoff and Ramsey.
1908 - Rev. Edward M. O'Malley becomes pastor and remains pastor for thirteen years.
1912 - Purchase of entire city block on Passaic St.
1914 - September 20 - Cornerstone of new church is laid on the Passaic St. property.
1915 - July 4 - New Gothic-style church seating 500 people is dedicated.
1920 - James D. Craig deeds 24 Passaic St. property, site of OLMC's present rectory.
1921 - Father Edward F. Kirk becomes pastor and remains pastor for 29 years.
1923 - Our Lady of Mount Carmel School opens with 35 students. Sister Fidelis Angela of the Sisters of Charity is its first principal.
1930 - Because of increasing enrollment, a new school is built to educate 150 students.

1930-1945 - The OLMC community weathers both the Great Depression and World War II and aids those in need.
1949 - OLMC Mission Church is established in Glen Rock. A modern cafeteria is installed at the school. The Home and School Association is formed.
1950 - Father Kielty handles Church administration during Father Kirk's illness and for 15 months after Father Kirk's death.
1950 - Father Kielty helps Knights of Columbus acquire their clubhouse at Broad and Hudson Streets.
1951 - Monsignor James F. Kelley, former president of Seton Hall College, is appointed pastor of OLMC.
1951 - Additions are made to accommodate ever-increasing enrollment.
1959 - Existing Church is razed to make way for current Church.
1960 - October 29 - Cornerstone is laid for current classic Basilica Church.
1967 - In accordance with the Decree on Ecumenism, OLMC participates in an "Open House" with other churches in the area. 1976 - Monsignor James F. Kelley retires. Monsignor Francis J. Houghton becomes pastor.
1976 - Ann Holland becomes first full-time director of Religious Education.
1977 - Karen Chiappini becomes the parish's first full-time music director.
1977 - Robert V. Thomann is the first member of the parish to be ordained to the Order of Permanent Deacon.

1980's - Expansion of the number of parish ministries and redesign of several interior church areas occur during this decade.
1989 - Our Lady of Mount Carmel celebrates its 100th. Anniversary.
1989 (October) - Msgr. Charles J. McDonnell becomes pastor, after retiring from the Armed Forces.
1991 (September) - Fr. Robert G. Gibney becomes pastor of OLMC.
1997 (June) - Msgr. Ronald J. Rozniak becomes pastor of OLMC.
2002 (June) - Inauguration of OLMC's Perpetual Eucharistic Adoration Chapel.

facebook logo     instagram logo

covid19 updates

aool logo

Annual Appeal

Click Here to Support

jcorg logo

Mass Schedule

Weekend Liturgies
Saturday, 5:30 p.m.
8:00 a.m., 9:30 a.m.,
11:00 a.m., 12:30 p.m.,
3 p.m. (Spanish), 6:30 p.m.
Weekday Liturgies
Monday thru Friday,
6:30 a.m., 8:30 a.m.,
and 12 noon
Saturday, 8:30 a.m. only
Holy Days
Eve: 7:30pm (anticipated)
6:30am, 8:30am, and 12noon